|RULES OF THE EEF
PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION 2017
Condition of Registration and
1. By registering and entering the EEF Photography Competition you agree
to these rules and all other terms and conditions.
2. All elements of the work submitted must have been originated by the
entrant. While some retouching may have been applied, a significant
majority of the final image must remain as shot.
3. Work submitted must not have previously been entered into another
competition, including previous EEF Photography Competitions (previously
known as the EEF Photography Awards).
4. Those who enter may not be included on the judging panel, attend the
judging process, or be involved in any part of the judging procedure.
5. No employee of EEF or sponsor / partner organisations of the competition or their families shall be entitled to enter the amateur, professional or young photographer categories. Private, supplementary competitions may be administered alongside these categories, for which all other rules apply.
6. Photographs must reflect engineering or manufacturing through
products, components or processes that have been made in Britain.
Entries need not be confined to British companies so long as they are
located in Britain.
7. Entrants under the age of 18 must obtain parental consent prior to
submitting their image(s).
Entry Procedure and Format
8. Entry to the EEF Photography Competition is free of charge and there
is no limit on the number of images that you can enter to the relevant
9. Entries for the EEF Photography Competition should be submitted
on-line via the entry website, which is linked from: www.eef.org.uk/photo.
10. Entrants must agree to complete the required entry fields in the
11. No prints will be accepted.
12. An image may only be entered in to one category; Amateur,
Professional or Young (Under 20 on 30 September 2017).
13. The images in the Professional category are judged purely as
photographs and not as an adjunct to design and art direction. Therefore
no copy should appear on your photograph.
14. The entrant’s name must not appear anywhere on the actual
15. Images should satisfy the following:
15.1. RGB format
15.2. High-quality JPEG file (level 10 or above in Photoshop)
15.3. The maximum and ideal image size is 3508 x 2480 pixels or 3508 x
3508 pixels if square
15.4. Minimum image size 2400 x 1800 pixels
15.5. Alpha-numeric file names ending in ‘.jpg’.
16. Each image must be accompanied by the following information:
16.1. Entrant’s Name
16.2. Company (School or college)
16.3. Full postal address
16.4. Telephone number
16.5. Email address
16.6. Image category
16.7. Image title
16.8. Image narrative (to include location of the facility / production
17. Name your image as you wish but please note that they will be
re-named within the entry website system, to identify them uniquely as
yours whilst preserving anonymity during judging. However, during
upload, your own file name must contain only the letters A-Z (in upper
or lower case) and / or the numbers 0-9 and / or the underscore
character ("_”) plus the suffix ".jpg”. Any other characters including
further dots, hyphens or spaces could result in your file being rejected
during the upload process.
18. Each photograph must be accompanied by a narrative between 50 and
100 words to express why and / or how the image portrays modern
manufacturing in Britain; in keeping with the themes of the EEF
Dates & deadlines
19. Entries should be submitted from 1 June 2017 to midnight on 30 September 2017.
20. Entries will be judged by an independent and impartial panel of
21. All images will be judged digitally.
22. Short listing will take place in October 2017.
23. The short listed entries will be announced on the EEF Photography
Competition website from November 2017.
24. Judging will take place in November 2017.
25. The judges will then select the best entry in each of the following
26. The shortlisted entries will be displayed on the Photography
27. The shortlisted entrants will be invited to attend the Photography
Competition ceremony; date and venue to be advised.
28. The winner and runner-up images of each category will be announced
at the Photography Competition ceremony; date and venue to be advised.
29. The successful, winning and runner-up, entries will be displayed
indefinitely on the Photography Competition website, as a record of
30. No copyright is transferred in respect of any images entered.
31. By submitting an image, you agree that EEF Ltd. and any of its
partners can display, distribute, publish and alter any of the images in
their activities to promote and support UK manufacturing for a period of
32. Successful entries will be reproduced and may be used in various
activities in connection with the EEF Photography Competition, which may
include the internet, other electronic media, publications or events. By
entering the EEF Photography Competition, entrants agree to their
photographs being used for publicity purposes.
33. Where necessary, entrants must have permission from the client and
photographer to submit the work. The entrant shall be deemed to warrant
that they own the entire copyright in the work.
34. The entrant undertakes to indemnify the organisers and their
partners and sponsors of the EEF Photography Competition in respect of
any breach of the above warranty.
35. The organisers reserve the right to use its own discretion
throughout the EEF Photography Competition process which may include,
but is not limited to: disqualifying any entrant not complying with the
rules; disqualifying any entries not deemed suitable for the EEF
Photography Competition; amalgamating categories if they are
under-subscribed; changing or removing the category headings when the
selected images are published.
36. There will be no appeals against the decision of the judges and
correspondence cannot be entered into regarding the judging.
37. Work will not be moved from one category to another by the judges,
as it will be assumed that you will understand, before entering, which
category best suits the image(s) entered. So be sure you read, and are
aware of, the requirements for the categories first.
38. Any successful entrant to the EEF Photography Competition may be
called upon during the following year to participate in any appropriate
marketing and PR activities for and on behalf of the organisers.